A complete meal ready in an hour, packed with vegetables and requiring little input from the cook.
You can use any root vegetables you like here, I’ve included my selection as a guide.
The addition of sweet apples, honey and mustard brings everything together and makes a meal the whole family can enjoy.
- 10-12 sausages (aim for ones with a high percentage of pork. Keep gluten and dairy-free as required)
- A selection of root vegetables (I used 1 swede, 1 sweet potato, 4 medium-sized potatoes, 2 carrots, 2 parsnips, 3 onions), peeled as necessary, and cut into chunks (aim for 1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 eating apples, cored and quartered
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsps of runny honey
- 2 heaped tsps wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sprig or rosemary, leaves finely chopped
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180c (fan) and take two large baking trays.
Combine the honey and mustard and set to one side.
Step 2: Put a spoonful of oil on each tray and divide the root vegetables between the two trays, season each tray with the rosemary, salt and pepper and toss in the oil.
Step 3: Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Remove the trays from the oven and drizzle the honey and mustard over the vegetables. Next divide the apple, tomatoes and sausages between each tray and return to the oven for 40 minutes.
Step 5: Transfer the contents of the two baking trays to a large serving dish and dig in!