There is something deeply satisfying about eating juicy meat straight off the bone, and my sticky chilli chicken does not disappoint. The ingredients are simple and, if you’re anything like me, they are probably things you’ll find lurking in the fridge or cupboard.
- 1kg chicken pieces (a mix of thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 red onion cut into thin wedges
- 2 carrots cut into batons
- 1 red pepper cut in to one inch pieces
- 1/2 orange cut into eight pieces
- Juice of half an orange
- 1 inch ginger peeled and diced
- 1 heaped tbsp chilli jam
- 2 heaped tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Step 1: Add all ingredients into a large sealable bag (I like using the large ones from IKEA – I’m sure you know the ones I mean, they are frequently listed as a must-have purchase when paying the big blue box a visit). Squish everything together so the meat and vegetables are pleasingly coated in the sticky mixture. Leave (preferably overnight) in the fridge to marinate.
Step 2: Spread the contents of the bag in a baking tin and put in a 190c oven for 50 minutes.
Serve with rice, and if you fancy some extra veg, some steamed greens.