Creamy and mild, this curry is great for all the family. It’s naturally vegan and gluten free too so caters for a range of dietary requirements. If you like some heat, add a chopped chilli or two during step two.
This is rather rich because of the coconut milk, and should serve 6-8, depending on appetite. It’s a perfect batch cook recipe so you can freeze portions for a quick and nutritious meal for another night.
- (Coconut) oil
- 2 onions, small dice
- 2 inches of ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 2 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 2 heaped tsp ground turmeric
- 2 heaped tsp ground paprika
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 500g passata
- 2 tins black beans, drained
- 2 tomatoes, halved and cut into wedges
- 1/2 butternut squash, small dice
- Salt and pepper
Step 1: Heat a table spoon or two of oil in a large pan (it will need to have a lid). Add the diced onion and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further five.
Step 2: Add all the spices and stir to stop them from burning. After a minute or two add the coconut milk and passata, along with the squash, tomato and black beans. Cover with a lid and cook on a low heat, until the squash is tender. Season to taste and serve with rice and/or flatbreads.