Serves 2 for lunch or 1 for a main meal
This is one of my favourite meals to have when it’s hot. It’s so quick (assuming you’re using leftover chicken), fresh, and incredibly satisfying. The fat-free dressing gives you a citrusy, salty, chilli hit. Yum. I’ve been eating it for the last few years and it’s great for when you’re watching your calorie intake. I also like it without the noodles if I’m looking for a carb-free meal or an even lighter lunch.
- For the salad:
- 1 chicken breast cooked and shredded (you could poach or fry one breast and then shred; I like to use leftover meat from a roast chicken)
- 50g vermicelli rice/bean noodles, soaked in boiling water until soft then drained under cold water
- A mix of salad such as;
- Baby gem lettuce, sliced
- 2 inches of cucumber, sliced or cubed
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 carrot, using a peeler to peel into ribbons
- 1/2 red pepper cut into thin strips
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Small bunch of mint leaves, torn
- Half a mango, skinned and cubed, or finely chop 30g of dried mango
- Juice of 1/2 – 1 lime
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes/chopped fresh red chilli
Step 1: Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl or platter.
Step 2: Mix the dressing ingredients to taste.
Step 3: Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.
This makes a great lunchbox salad, but keep the dressing separate until just before serving. To make a lower calorie, lighter meal, omit the noodles and up the salad items.